Sunday, December 25, 2005

I'm with Mark Twain on this one


"Golf is a good walk spoiled" said Mark Twain. I think he was right, though in saying as much I know that I invite the wrath (or pity) of the golfing fraternity. Being someone who enjoys a good walk, though with a camera and my wife rather than a golf club and a caddy, I have passed many courses and wondered at the people struggling to "control a ball with implements ill-adapted for the purpose" (Woodrow T. Wilson). I'm sure I completely miss the point. Or perhaps my life has a different point that I pursue just as frenetically!

The other morning as I passed Knott End Golf Club, across the River Wyre from Fleetwood, I looked over the course and took my first golf photograph. It wasn't the subject that grabbed my attention, but the light falling on the undulating fairway, the silhouetted figures, and the striking sky. It invited a conventional one third ground, two thirds sky approach, and I'm quite pleased with the outcome.

The only problem with the photograph is that there is now a print hanging in my study, and the subject may prompt my friends or visitors to think that I've got a new hobby - and that would never do!
photograph & text (c) T. Boughen