Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Primary Colours

Sometimes a photograph presents itself and you just have to take it! Last summer I was standing on the tip of Roa Island near Barrow-in-Furness. It's a great location for the photographer: there are buildings, boats, sea views, Walney Island, a lifeboat station, and Piel Island with its medieval ruined castle. I'd photographed these and was looking round through a zoom lens just before I left when the two small yachts and the distant mountains came into the viewfinder. Given the blueness of the hills what were the chances of the yachts being red and yellow - giving the three primary colours. Such an opportunity doesn't come along often. The image called me and I knew I had to try and get a decent photograph out of the view.

I couldn't get to the point that I wanted in order to creat a balanced composition, so I took a number of shots from where I was, using a range of focal lengths. The final image, above, is a slight cropping of the best of these.

For those who know this area of north-west England the strip of land behind the yachts is the spit leading to Foulney Island, the highest peak is Ingleborough, and the peak above the red yacht is the more distant Penyghent.
photograph & text (c) T. Boughen