Sunday, August 31, 2008

Jewels and Stones

click photo to enlarge
"You can't always get what you want,
But if you try sometimes,
Well you just might find,
You get what you need!"
from "You Can't Always Get What You Want", M. Jagger/K. Richards, 1968, on the album "Let it Bleed" 1969

I was never a big fan of the Rolling Stones - the musicianship, songwriting prowess and originality of the Beatles appealed much more. And, though I would listen with interest to their borrowings from the blues, and thought it was interesting how they developed their brand of rock, I wasn't motivated to buy their music. I found Mick Jagger's singing style and posturing ludicrous, but grudgingly recognised that he wrote a few good songs. However, Keith Richards' guitar playing, and his very inventive riffs were definitely worth a listen. As were the second guitarists who came along periodically to fill the gap left by Brian Jones' early demise: I had a particular liking for Mick Taylor. But, as a total experience the Stones didn't do it for me. Until, that is, "Let it Bleed" - the only Stones music I ever bought - came along. This album had a few excellent songs, particularly the one quoted above, but also the peerless "Gimme Shelter". It was the latter song, where Merry Clayton takes the lead voice, that made me realise what it was that the Rolling Stones needed - a female singer in place of Jagger! However, rock bands like the Rolling Stones are successful not only for their music, but also because of their image, and since that revolved around their lead singer, I always knew that my idea would never materialise.

You're perhaps wondering what the Rolling Stones have got to do with my photograph of a spider's web laden with dew drops? Well, I've been feeling that I needed to inject a bit more variety into the images I've been posting, so the first thick fog of the year prompted me to see if I could get a shot of pylons and wind turbines sticking up through the low-lying murk. However, when I went out I thought I'd better first see if there were any shots to be found outside my house. After a bit of looking I came upon a few webs decorating my drive gates, and captured this image. My subsequent foggy expedition turned up not one decent shot, and as I headed home these words came into my head (join in with either a Jagger drawl-cum-sneer, or a London Bach Choir angelic voice) "You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, well you just might find, you get what you need!"

photograph & text (c) T. Boughen

Camera: Olympus E510
Mode: Aperture Priority
Focal Length: 35mm macro (70mm/35mm equiv.)
F No: f4.5
Shutter Speed: 1/80
ISO: 400
Exposure Compensation: -0.3 EV
Image Stabilisation: On