Friday, January 08, 2016

Town Bridge, Boston, Lincolnshire

click photo to enlarge
Today's photograph was taken, like quite a few of mine, on a shopping trip. A pocketable camera is a boon to a busy photographer, and I value the diminutive size and great quality of the Sony RX100: it is with me much of the time that I'm engaged on business other than taking photographs. Like many photographers I become something of a fisherman if I see a potential shot that I'm unable to capture with a camera, and the magnitude of the missed opportunity becomes ever greater with each memory of what might have been, so the RX100 dispels the regret associated with a missed shot.

The photograph above was taken from St Botolph's Footbridge looking down the River Witham towards the Town Bridge. I've taken several from the bridge depicted looking towards where I took this shot because behind my left shoulder is the tall medieval tower of the church of St Botolph, known locally as "The Stump". The view isn't a particularly scenic townscape. What prompted me to take the shot was the low afternoon light that was illuminating a few buildings. This, along with the reflections on the water and the deep shadows lifted the view and put me in mind of Dutch and English oil paintings from the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries of such subjects

photograph and text © Tony Boughen

Photo Title: January Afternoon - Town Bridge, Boston Lincolnshire
Camera: Sony RX100
Mode: Aperture Priority
Focal Length: 16.6mm (45mm - 35mm equiv.)
F No: f4
Shutter Speed: 1/200
ISO: 125
Exposure Compensation:  -0.3 EV
Image Stabilisation: On