Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Ash wood grain

click photo to enlarge
Sometimes photographs are in front of you and you don't see them. Occasionally they are under your nose every day and you still don't see them. Today's photograph shows a section of my kitchen table, the place where I eat my breakfast and many other meals. It is a table made of wood from the ash tree, a wood with a strong, attractive grain - one of the reasons I bought the table. I often stare at this grain, following its lines, fascinated by the way it appears to change colour with the light, looking intently at the darkest parts, wondering if they really incude the dark blue that appears to be there.

The fact is, if something draws your eye and causes you to reflect upon it then it is a suitable subject for a photograph. So, over eight years after I bought it, here is a photograph of part of the top of my kitchen table. Perhaps its another to add to my "kitchen sink" collection.

photograph and text © Tony Boughen

Photo Title: Ash Table Grain
Camera: Olympus E-M10
Mode: Aperture Priority
Focal Length: 35mm macro (70mm - 35mm equiv.)
F No: f4.5
Shutter Speed: 1/80 sec
ISO:2500
Exposure Compensation: 0 EV
Image Stabilisation: On