Sunday, March 13, 2016

Vespa GTS 300

click photo to enlarge
My interest in scooters began and ended with one that I used to push along with my foot, up and down the hills of my home-town as an eight year old. Even today, if someone says "scooter" I think of the child's plaything rather than the chrome, curves and pop-pop-pop of the sub-motorcycle (or is the step above the bicycle?)

Scooters of the lightweight, folding variety, with skateboard-size wheels, have enjoyed a popularity with children and youths for a number of years. These modern incarnations of the type I knew (in those days by manufacturers such as Triang - today by myriad companies) look like fun. Which is more than I can say about the motorised scooter of today's photograph. I'm sure many would disagree with me on this point, seeing style, convenience and relatively inexpensive transport that can be used wearing work clothes rather than leathers.

So why, you may be wondering, am I photographing something in which I have little interest. The answer lies in the colours, the tactile qualities of the shiny metal, and the way its curves are framed by the yellow, angular lines of the car park. Without its surroundings I wouldn't have photographed this scooter, nor would I have given it a slight vignette to emphasise it in its setting.

photograph and text © Tony Boughen

Photo Title: Vespa GTS 300
Camera: Olympus E-M10
Mode: Aperture Priority
Focal Length: 45mm (90mm - 35mm equiv.)
F No: f5.6
Shutter Speed: 1/320 sec
ISO:200
Exposure Compensation: -0.3 EV
Image Stabilisation: On