Saturday, May 28, 2016

Breakfast for one

click photo to enlarge
Some weeks ago, when my wife was away for a few days on family business, I catered for myself (with the aid of kind invitations from friends to eat with them). One consequence of this was that I breakfasted alone, something that hasn't often happened during my married life. One morning, after I'd started to prepare my bowl of porridge and cup of tea, I went across to the kitchen window to subdue the glare of the low morning sun by angling down the Venetian blinds. In so doing I created the scene featuring the kitchen table seen in today's photograph. On subsequent days I tried to improve on the effect, but to no avail, thus proving something I've discovered with my photography over the years. Namely, the first shot I take of a scene is almost always the best, perhaps because it is seen intuitively, and "overthinking" in trying to improve the composition rarely produces anything better.

photograph and text © Tony Boughen

Photo Title: Breakfast for One
Camera: Olympus E-M10
Mode: Aperture Priority
Focal Length: 17mm (34mm - 35mm equiv.) crop
F No: f2.8
Shutter Speed: 1/60 sec
ISO:200
Exposure Compensation: -0.7 EV
Image Stabilisation: On